Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Video:What’s Organic?” Animation [2.27 minutes]

What IS organic food? This animated short explains. The answer might surprise you. ‘Organic’ does NOT necessarily equate to nutritious. Organic has nothing to do with how good a food is for you. The organic label speaks only to HOW the INGREDIENTS were created, prepared, or raised.

In an organic nutshell, here’s what ‘organic’ means:

1–NO Genetically Modified (GMO) ingredients;
2–NO chemicals used to kill bugs or weeds;

3–ALL pesticides used, natural;
4–NOTHING fertilized with sewage sludge;
5–NO radiation exposure;
6–NO industrial solvents used for cleaning;
7–NO food additives used for freshness;

8NO antibiotics or hormones used, if meat.

Though ‘organic’ does NOT necessarily mean “more nutritious,” this created-prepared-raised list certainly implies “healthier”!

Video: Support Organic Food — Animation

This is the musical, foot-tapping version of “What’s Organic?”. Creators: Turn Organic. An organic sing-a-long!
Posted on WhereElseOrganic

Video: The Official Meatrix II: Revolting!

This animated, second installment of The Meatrix is just a “warm up” to the genuinely scary issue of “Factory Farms.” The short video (above) again features “Matrix” (film) characters portrayed as farm animals. Infamous hacker Neo, aka “the One,” joins  Trinity aka Chickity, and Morpheus–or Moopheus–for a “revolt’ against Factory Farming, in defence The Farmthe organic family farm.

“Revolting” was created and produced by Sustainable Table and Free Range Studios.

The sequel sheds more light on the “revolting” reality of industrial or Factory Farming! With humor, action, and reverse rose-colored glasses, our heroes take on the threat to our food supply posed by Factory Farming. This is just a warm up!

Here are the facts about Factory Farms: FULL length documentary “A River of Waste: The Hazardous Truth About Factory Farms.”

Video: River of Waste (documentary)

This is a heart-stopping documentary! RIVER OF WASTE exposes the health and environmental scandal of the industrial system of agriculture, meat and poultry production. Some scientists call current Factory Farm practices as “mini Chernobyls.” Yes, you read that right!

Posted on WhereElseOrganic

Video: SAMSARA food sequence from Baraka & Samsara

This video will gut you! I could weep! This 6-minute video, circulated recently on Twitter by Stop_GMO_Canada,  speaks volumes about our relationship to our fellow creatures, to food, and to what we’ve become as a society. THIS the video achieves without uttering a single word!

Though, personally, a vegetarian–THIS is still what goes on in the world, and that assigns responsibility equally to us all, me included. The Samsara food sequence is an unforgettable video.

piglet enlarged

Photo: European Commission Organic Farming

Do you know where your food comes from, what the labels mean?  Do you know what free-range, cage-free, or organic actually mean?

“Organic” (by USDA definition) means food at least 95 percent organically produced. The other 5 percent can be NON-organic or even synthetic. Alternatively, “USDA Certified Organic” must meet Federal Standards and be synthetic-free. “Made with Organic Ingredients” means 70 percent only, organic ingredients. There’s no mention of what the other 30 percent can be!

“Organic” does NOT necessarily mean “hormone-free.” Miniscule amounts of hormones–natural substances that send messages to cells of living organisms — are in everything from cabbage to milk, organic or not. [Source: Monterey County Herald]

Know what you’re eating. Read labels, sidestep hype for facts! Know the meanings of the words.

For more detailed USDA food labeling facts, see Farm Aid Know Your Food . Canadian regulations for organic, free-range, hormone-free labeling can be found on Canadian Gateway Consumer Information.

Nuke Ready Corn?

Video:  Go!Animate “Nuke Ready Corn” animation (1 min. 30 sec.)

This Go!Animate animation is a hilarious “in a nutshell” (or “corn cob) view of genetically engineered Frankenfood. The corn in this feature is definitely NOT organic. Read labels! If ingredients list corn but do not mention “organic” or “certified organic,” then what you are eating IS “Nuke Ready Corn.” 

For a more serious (though much less catchy) animation about GE foods, check out the Greenpeace VIDEO below: 

Video: Genetically Modified Foods–World’s Greatest Scam?

Even more serious is this! Instead of proper trials for genetically modified foods, United States Department of Agriculture in alliance with the Chinese government have been secretly testing their latest GMO rice on young Chinese children. Greenpeace–and consumers–say STOP!

[To read FULL ARTICLE, see Health Freedom Alliance “US and China exposed secretly testing GMO rice on children.”]

Worlds-Largeest-Pumpkin-by-Ray-Villafane-5 cropped

Photo: Artist Ray Villafane with giant pumpkin

It’s that time of year again! Ready to whip out your carving tools–and shop for pumpkins? Halloween is just round the corner. For inspiration, check out New York artist, and master pumpkin carver, Ray Villafane’s masterful creations [below]:

ray-villafane-pumpkin-carving-7 enlarged

Photo: Ray Villafane’s sculpture impersonates Rodin’s ‘Thinker’?

Ray Villafane takes pumpkin carving to a whole new level with animated expressionsand decidedly hilarious realism.

ray-villafane-pumpkin-carving-3

Photo: Artist Villafane’s Knockout Punch?

Who is Villafane? He’s the two-time champion of Food Network’s Challenge Show “Outrageous Pumpkins” as well as a contestant on Season One of the Food Network’s “Halloween Wars,” author of a pumpkin bookand wit extraordinaire! I love this guy’s pumpkins! Enjoy!

ray-villafane-pumpkin-carving-1 enlarged

Photo: Ray Villafane pumpkin carving leaves ever the pumpkins speechless!

Pets Love Organic!

Photo: courtesy of Los Angeles Times “Pets Join Organic Trend”
Photographer: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times

Pets (and pet food stores) are joining the organic food trend happening worldwide.  Natural, organic and gourmet foods are increasingly taking up shelf space in pet stores. Dogs and cats are scoring BIG TIME!

Take Gabriel, a 10-year old Los Angeles rescue cat, as an example.  No Friskies or Meow Mix for this cat!  Tuna and duck are what you’ll find in Gabriel’s bowl. His owner, Jason Lanum, says, “I eat natural food, and I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t give it to my cat.”

Here’s more from the Los Angeles Times:

“Big-box pet stores and precious pet boutique shelves are increasingly stocked with gourmet edibles that are corn-free, wheat-free, locally sourced, by-product-free, free-range, minimally processed and raw.  Many come with homey, inviting labels, and some look palatable even for humans….If you think your pet’s diet is still lacking, you can bolster it with supplements — containing brewers yeast, alfalfa, blueberries and more — that promise shiny coats, bright eyes and limber joints. As more of us turn toward more healthful foods, we’re doing the same for our pets.”

If this keeps up, our pets may NOT even WANT to eat off our plates! We may be eating off theirs! [To read more, see Los Angeles Times “Pets join in on the organic food trend.”]